Field Fisher Waterhouse
Oliver Proust is of counsel in the Privacy and Information Law group. Proust is a European-qualified lawyer specialized in privacy, data protection and data security. He assists companies of all sizes and across sectors to comply with French and European data protection law, and he has successfully assisted many international organizations on a whole range of privacy-related issues, such as adopting a sustainable data management strategy or implementing an adequate legal mechanism for transferring personal data globally (e.g., model clauses, BCR, Safe Harbor). He also advises companies on data security requirements, such as complying with data breach notification requirements, drafting privacy policies and data privacy clauses in service provider agreements, and filing registrations with national data protection authorities. Proust advises companies on various aspects of technology law (e.g., privacy-by-design, cloud computing, social networking, geolocation), consumer protection (e.g., e-commerce, direct marketing, cookies), employee privacy rights (e.g., whistleblowing, employee monitoring, corporate investigations) and e-discovery.
Proust has published many articles both in French and English law journals relating to privacy and data security. He is regularly quoted in the BNA report and was also interviewed several times as a privacy expert by the French mainstream journal "Le Point". Olivier is frequently invited to speak at conferences across Europe with recent events including the IAPP Europe Data Protection Congress in Paris (2011), Digital Advertising and Privacy in London (2012), and the eCrime mid-year meetings in Paris and Amsterdam (2012).
Olivier is a member of the International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP) and the French data protection officers' association (AFCDP).
Olivier was admitted to the Paris bar in June 2006 and to the Brussels bar in September 2008 (E-list).
- "The European Parliament's LIBE Committee Adopts Revised Data Protection Regulation: Changes May Significantly Impact Businesses", BNA's World Data Protection Report, November 2013.
- "Technology and Privacy in the Workplace under French Law", BNA's World Data Protection Report, July 2013.
- "La notification des violations de données à caractère personnel: analyse et décryptage", Lamy Droit de l'Immatériel, July 2013.
- "Complying with data breach requirements in France", BNA's World Data Protection Report, September 2012.
- "Binding Corporate Rules: a global solution for international data transfers", International Data Privacy Law (Oxford publications), November 2011.
- "Les Binding Corporate Rules: une solution globale pour les transferts internationaux de données", Lamy Droit de l'Immatériel, September 2011.