Privacy Attorney, Microsoft, Redmond, WA
Are you creative and passionate about privacy and technology? If so, and if you’re ready to work with smart clients to solve problems and make a difference in technology, then a career with the Microsoft legal department is for you.
We’re looking for a dynamic, highly motivated and experienced attorney to join our legal team at Microsoft’s global headquarters in Redmond, Washington. This attorney will work as part of Microsoft’s Regulatory Affairs team focusing on privacy issues.
Essential Job Functions:
- Reviewing technology and feature designs and working with devices and services engineering teams and legal colleagues in order to provide advice regarding compliance with applicable privacy and data security laws around the world, standards and corporate policies;
- Responding to inquiries from legal colleagues and business groups across the company and from international subsidiaries regarding privacy requirements applicable to their activities, including assistance with transactions;
- Working with a wide variety of other legal professionals, privacy experts, marketers, software and hardware designers and other clients across the company on regulatory issues, including contributing to company-wide policies, standards, training and business procedures designed to foster compliance with relevant laws; and
- Assisting government affairs professionals with engagement on privacy and security legislation and regulatory developments.
Basic Qualifications include:
- JD (or equivalent legal degree from a non-US jurisdiction) from an accredited college or university is required with a strong preference for excellent academic credentials.
- At least five years of experience as a practicing attorney, with solid experience supporting complex regulatory and compliance issues.
- Recent experience with privacy compliance issues. Experience with cloud services and international privacy laws is preferred.
Desired Qualifications and Skills:
- Creative thinker who can see the big picture and unite new and disparate ideas with practical plans, working comfortably in the face of ambiguity while driving persistently toward success.
- Sound and practical business judgment, ability to think strategically and desire to establish a “trusted advisor” relationship with colleagues, executives and key business clients.
- Knowledge and passion for technology.
- Highly organized, efficient and process focused. Ability to prioritize well, effectively manage multiple tasks and meet demanding deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and across disparate groups, teams and reporting lines. Ability to work independently and effectively in a loosely structured team environment that demands a high degree of cooperation, flexibility, cross-group collaboration and real-time responsiveness.
- Excellent listening skills and proficient oral and written communications.
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills with a focus on achieving results that benefit our business as well as the businesses of our customers and partners.
- Experience in at least some of the regulatory areas of cybersecurity, telecommunications and/or accessibility would be a plus.
This description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by and employee within this position. The actual duties, responsibilities and qualifications may vary based on assignment or group. Microsoft is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE) and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to the following specialized security screenings:
Citizenship Verification: This position requires verification of US Citizenship to meet federal government security requirements.
Application Submission Information:
Please apply online to: https://careers.microsoft.com/jobdetails.aspx?ss=&pg=0&so=&rw=1&jid=134305&jlang=EN&pp=SS