Media

June 11, 2008

IAPP Reaches 5,000 Member Milestone

York, Maine—June 11, 2008—The International Association of Privacy Professionals announced today that its worldwide membership has reached 5,000, reinforcing the organization's status as the world's largest group dedicated to supporting and defining the privacy profession.  Currently, 87 percent of members reside in the United States while the remaining 13 percent hail primarily from Canada, Europe and the Asia Pacific region.

Ken Washington, PhD, Chief Privacy Leader, Lockheed Martin Corporation, is the 5,000th member to become part of the IAPP.  Washington cites the reasons he joined the organization: "Four weeks ago I was selected to be the first Chief Privacy Leader at Lockheed Martin with the charter to oversee all aspects of our privacy activities while also defining the scope of the role.  I was immediately faced with the challenge of coming up to speed quickly on the privacy field, so one of the first decisions I made was to join the IAPP.  This gave me instant access to privacy resources on their Web site and facilitated my efforts to build relationships with peer privacy professionals."

Speaking at a stop last week on the IAPP European delegate policy tour in Brussels, Belgium, Sandra R. Hughes, IAPP President and Global Ethics, Compliance and Privacy Executive, Procter & Gamble Co. said, "In today's interconnected and data-driven world, privacy professionals thrive on the networking, education and certification opportunities our association proudly provides."  Hughes continued, "The IAPP continues to build impressively on its United States base while steadily adding members in regions where the privacy and data protection profession is rapidly growing in relevance and prominence."

"Our average membership growth rate over the past two years has been 35 percent," said IAPP Executive Director Trevor Hughes.  "This strong figure shows that as privacy professionals tackle challenges around the world and across borders, they look to the IAPP as the premier, trusted forum for sharing knowledge and crafting more effective approaches to privacy."

About the IAPP
The International Association of Privacy Professionals is the world's largest association of privacy professionals with 5,000 members globally. The IAPP helps define and support the privacy profession through networking, education and certification. More information about the IAPP is available at www.privacyassociation.org.